Thursday, September 3, 2009

Can't get this woman off my mind...

Kelli is always on my mind, I don't make a single decision without thinking how it would impact her, our life, and now, the life of our child. This post has nothing to do with this basic fact.

Last week while on a business trip, I was jolted. It seems I don't get jolted much anymore and I think that's good - in a way. As we mature, things don't bother us as much as they might have when we are younger. We've experienced more in life, and we're just better able to handle things. At least that's how it is for me, and hopefully for you as well.

Let's face it. Most of us have it pretty good. I can't complain about one single thing, and you can ask my wife, I don't complain very much. However, I somehow seem to be able to find something to complain about or at least something for which to be in a bad mood from time to time.

Then you are jolted and you are reminded just how good things are in your life. My life is not perfect, but I can't tell it. What a wonderful thing to be able to say. I'll bet a lot of you bloggers could say the same, right?

So, I was in the gym working out, and as I walked over to get a drink of water, I saw a woman on the treadmill. Her back had been toward me as I was lifting weights. She turned slightly to her left, and I saw a horrible disfigurement on her face. I immediately looked away. I was morbidly curious as to what had caused this. Scenarios started running through my mind. Was she born that way? Was it an accident? What could have marred this poor woman's life? Obviously, I didn't find out.

After that, it seemed every corner I turned in my hotel over the course of the week, I would encounter this lady. Her disfiguration was much worse than what I had seen just on her left side. At one point, I was in the elevator with her alone. I wanted desperately to ask her what had caused this. I didn't, but it has just lingered in my mind continually.

She never spoke a word. She was very fit, her hair was nicely coiff'd, nails painted, nicely dressed, seemed to interact with her peers normally, but there was an obvious sadness in her face and in her reserved actions. I don't have more to say about her except that I was surprised to see her one last time as I was heading to my gate to fly home. She was several people ahead of me on the escalator, then she seemed to simply vanish after she exited.

I have tried not to think about her disfigurement, but it's been tough. I'm using this as an opportunity to remember NOT to complain about anything.

Scott

3 comments:

  1. Scott,
    I've found your blog through Jessica...let me say, so good to "see" you again! :-)

    I have found more things to be thankful for the older I get. I simply cannot fathom why GOD sees fit to bless me so richly. I am so happy for you to be expecting your first child! I pray that God watches over Kelli and the baby and you get to experience the most wonderful joy on this earth...the birth and life of a child of your very own. Words simply cannot describe it! Mine are nearly grown....my baby is a senior in high school! I cannot imagine where the time has gone so please enjoy every day, every hour, every minute, and every second.....it truly passes in the blink of an eye! (Ok, I'm sounding like my mother but I'm more and more like her every day)
    Take care and I'll be keeping up with you through your blog. You can see my grandbabies (can you believe that????) at gigisbabies.blogspot.com
    Love,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always tried to pray, "Lord, please always show me that no matter how sad I think my day may be, how badly my heart may be broken, please always show me it could me worse." It amazes me how many times I thought I was on the lowest limb I could be on and he has never failed to show me it could always be worse. I think God lets our paths cross with people like this from time to time to just to remind us of what he does for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post. I remember a instance like this when I was irritated at WKU having to trudge all the way up the campus in the rain with a huge backpack...while I'm grumbling to myself I see a guy about my age doing the same thing except he's struggling with all he had to wheel himself up the hill in a manual wheelchair...that was my very last day of complaining about trudging up that hill in bad weather.

    ReplyDelete