Sunday, October 11, 2009

El Caribe...

Port of Miami



I read that when I found out my wife was pregnant, I was supposed to buy her a gift. We found out in late May, and I pondered and pondered as to what gift to buy. I want to officially go on record as saying that my least favorite thing about marriage is all the gift buying. It seems that I blink a couple times, and it's time to buy another gift. UGH!

In mid-July, morning sickness was in full force, and though we can laugh about it now, it was rough on Kelli. One particularly bad day, I thought - hmm...we can't really go anywhere right now with Kelli feeling like this. So, I booked us a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean for Fall break. This was my gift to Kelli and Baby Boy Brooks - even though he didn't realize it yet.



Leaving Miami on the Carnival Funship Liberty!












Half Moon Cay, Bahamas...this was a private island and it was really very nice. The water was crystal clear. Yes, that's me, the "white boy", floating in the picture. I was not white after 5 hours on the beach. In spite of multiple lubings of 30 SPF sunblock, I was quite red for the next two days. Still, a very relaxing day!



US Virgin Islands - St. Thomas (below)






San Juan, Puerto Rico - Old San Juan (below)






Turks & Caicos Islands (below)

I really do not recommend a cruise with this port of call on the itinerary. The waters beyond the shores are beautiful, and the snorkeling is nice; however, DO not "Discover" Grand Turk! Especially, do not pay for an organized shore excursion to Grand Turk. I heard from another passenger that the dune buggy excursion was fun.

Do not venture beyond the Cruise Center developed by the cruise line. If you find yourself being led toward the parking lot, turn back. Inside the Cruise Center, the shopping is nice and it's very new/clean. There is also a beach area, but it's very near where the ship is docked so it's not very scenic. If you can't avoid this stop, stay at the beach very near the Cruise Center. Even just beyond the developed beach spots - but still very near the ship - you can find nice conch shells.

If you can avoid this stop - I would.




Finally..avoid rogue cruise line photographers who want you to "pose" for the next Carnival glossy or at least get final say on the proofs!

Oh, almost forgot...still no baby name...Sorry folks!







3 comments:

  1. You are too funny! Loved the pictures, I've still not decided if I want to go on a cruise. All I can picture is the Titanic and all the coast guard is off duty. Stupid I know but I guess until my fear passes, I will just have to enjoy your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this update! It looks like you had a great time and it was well deserved for both of you. Kelli looks GREAT!! I hope to be able to come visit and see her in person soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys had a great vacation!!! (The last cruise as a family of two?!?) I foresee the next big family vacation with baby strollers and cartooned characters gracing your blog!!! Just kidding...Love you guys and I can't wait to meet Baby Boy Brooks...don't worry about people bugging you for a name...Lilly didn't have a name until she was 5 hours old. We just didn't know until we saw her.

    ReplyDelete