Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall into paint...ing the nursery!


(View of our backyard from my office)

I really didn't think it was going to be a difficult task to get the nursery ready... I was wrong. I thought, "Our house is just over 3 years old, and all we have to do is sell the furniture that's in the room, buy new baby furniture and accessories and set it all up". Selling the furniture - no problem - it's gone. Buying the new furniture - no problem - already in the basement (other than I had no idea how expensive baby furniture is), They really know how to make you buy that stuff huh?

The problem started when I called Lori James. Lori is a local artist who is going to paint a mural in our nursery. I could make a complete other post about Lori (all good I must say), but I'll stay on task with this one. So, Lori says her murals look best on base paint with an "eggshell" finish. Most of the rooms in our house are painted in "flat" finish. So, I (correction, we) had to re-paint the entire nursery (ceiling & walls) in an eggshell finish. So, again, not too difficult - we chose to stay with the same color just the different finish.

To our surprise, Porter Paints had slightly modified the formula for Bassett Hall Gold since we painted in 2006. The formula change was not really a surprise because they told me that when I called to order the paint. I ASSumed it would be close to the original formula. Well, it's not! Surprise! It's not bad, but I must admit I'm not as pleased with this new color as I was with the previous. The finish is fine, it's the color I'm not sold on yet. Regardless, it's the color our son will be living with until he's old enough to know he doesn't like it. Then, he can paint it - it'll be a good learning experience.



We spent all Saturday, painting the room that will be the nursery. I think it will look better when we get the furniture/accessories and the mural in there. There are some pictures below, but let me explain this room somewhat.

This room is the bonus room over our garage. It turned out to be a huge bedroom upstairs. It has a large anomaly in the the ceiling that I think will be cool for a little kid. Our first thoughts were to do a Noah's Ark theme in the room and the large anomaly could be the bow of the ark, but we threw that out.

We are really excited about the theme we chose - it's from one of our trips. We took a (very special) trip, and I wasn't sure if Kelli would like it. As we drove across the bridge overlooking the area, she said this may be the most beautiful sight I've ever seen. I was satisfied at that point that I had made the right choice...this was the first stop on our engagement trip to New England in 2005.


My Baby Mama...priceless!


The end wall is the focal point of the mural, so it's supposed to look like that...


Mess I...


Mess II


Mess III and My Baby Mama...again, priceless!


DIY Network has been calling me to be their next Do-It-Yourself star, but with the baby on the way, I had to decline...maybe in a few years. I gave them Kyle Cassady's number, and they said "Thanks, but no thanks...but do you happen to have Audrey Browning's number?"

Now, where was I?

As I say, this room is a bit oddly shaped, but I think it will be cool for a little kid. We have a whole list of things we plan to keep from him so he won't know it's not normal...at least for as long as we can.

And, as you can tell, my posts are pretty boring, and few and far between so I'll save the finished mural for another post or you can just come see it in person.

4 comments:

  1. You are too funny! Thank goodness they did not want Kyle Cassady's #! You know what a hard time I have getting him to do work for me...so they would surely be out of luck. Can't wait to see the final project! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is to my deepest regret to have to inform you that Audrey Browning is only available to Wanda Gray...we will get back with you at a later date to let you know if Wanda can maintain a time period without her. So, much to our disappointment and heartfelt regards...DIY will have to look for another genny pig...I mean assistant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for not turning my bedroom into the baby's room! LOL...I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your project is coming along. Yeah I totally agree with you on the baby furniture issue. They know where to stick it to ya don't they! I can't wait to meet your Baby Brooks. I hope him and my baby Brooks will be good friends.

    ReplyDelete